Shipping your vehicle with us is as easy as following the steps below. If you have any questions, please contact us at 877.775.7447 Prompt 4 or email customerservicePR@totemaritime.com
Step 1: Gather Required Information
- Shipper’s complete name, physical address, phone, and email
- Consignee’s complete name, physical address, phone, and email
- Vehicle’s value, year, make, model, and the complete VIN #.
- Sail date from Jacksonville to SJU (every Tuesday & Friday).
- EIN #. Obtain at http://www.irs.gov. Instructions included in JAX-VI packet p. 5 or call 800.829.4933.
Step 2: Contact Booking Team to Make a Booking
- Call 877.775.7447 Prompt 1 or email bookingPR@totemaritime.com
Step 3: Send Required Documents to Documentation Team and San Juan
Please email the items below to email@example.com or fax to 904.805.8106.
- Vehicle Exportation Sheet
- Insurance Acceptance or Declination Form
- Copy of Title, front and back (or authorization from the Financial Institution, if financed).
- Clear enlarged copy of the owner's Driver’s License (or Passport if no Driver’s License), and if the owner is not present to deliver, a signed Letter of Authorization must be granted to the party making the shipping arrangements.
Please also mail the following original documents to San Juan (address to right - expedited recommended) on the day you drop off your vehicle at the Jacksonville Port. San Juan needs to receive the documents by Monday to acquire Customs release in time for your vehicle to make the connecting vessel to the VI.
- Original Title (or Certified Copy provided by Department of Motor Vehicles)
- Original Notarized Export Power of Attorney
Step 4: Drop Off Your Vehicle at the Jacksonville Port
- Pre-Payment: Prepay before dropping off your vehicle with a Certified Check, Money Order, Visa, or Master Card (no cash) by calling the Financial Service Department at 800.422.2743 extension 4301.
- Drop Window: Drop your vehicle no earlier than 7 calendar days prior to sailing but before the cut-off.
- Cut Offs: For Tuesday Sailing, drop by Thursday at 12:00 PM
For Friday Sailing, drop by Wednesday at 12:00 PM
- Drop Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-12:00PM, 1:30PM-4:00PM
- Address: 5250 William Mills Street
Jacksonville, Florida 32226
- Google Map
- Phone: 904.751.2110
- Escort: Please have someone in a separate vehicle accompany you to the port. This will be your way of exiting the terminal once your vehicle is dropped off. An escort with a TWIC badge is required for you to reach our Jacksonville port location. The JAXPORT Access Control Center (904.357.3344) offers courtesy escorts until 3:00PM or you may pay to contract independently.
- Recalls: Vehicles with recalls that may create a fire hazard are subject to a $100.00 charge related to safety procedures. If the fire hazard recall is fixed prior to dropping the vehicle off at the port, you can send proof of completion to customerservicePR@totemaritime.com and avoid the $100.00 fee. You can look up your VIN on http://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ to see incomplete fire hazard recalls.
- Do NOT leave documents in the vehicle
- Additional cargo (that is not physically attached to the vehicle) is NOT permitted to remain in the vehicle. These restricted items include but are not limited to car seats, jumper cables, toolboxes,etc
- Vehicle must contain no more than a ¼ tank of gas
Step 5: Prepare to Pick Up Your Vehicle in USVI
- Track and Trace: Use the track and trace tool on the TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico web portal to monitor shipment activity (view instructions). Load and discharge events as well as changes to the ETD and ETA of your shipment will be reflected on the site.
Step 6: Pick Up Vehicle in St. Thomas
In order to pick up your vehicle, you are responsible for following the 5 steps below.
- Terminal Address:
TOTE Maritime – St. Thomas Terminal
3800 Crown Bay
Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, USVI 00802
- Google Map
- Pick Up Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM
- Phone / Fax: 340.714.1361 / 340.714.2854
- Pickup documents from TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico (upstairs is the US Customs and Border Protection office in French Town).
- Pay Road Tax at the IRS/Excise office located in Nisky Center (they accept cash, credit and debit cards, Visa, Master Card, money orders or certified checks).
- Proceed to Department of Motor Vehicles, located in Subbase across from Pueblo Supermarket, to obtain a temporary permit to transport the vehicle from TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico yard to the Department of Motor Vehicles to be registered. You will need to provide proof of insurance for the temporary permit. An original title is required to register the vehicle.
- Proceed to US Customs to complete the customs clearance (they accept cash, business or personal checks). A copy of the title can be used for customs clearance.
- Proceed back to TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico with the US Customs Stamped Bill of Lading for release of car.
Additional Customs and Tax Information
- If your vehicle is a foreign make, a U.S. Customs duty based on the blue book value is required in the U.S.V.I. If your vehicle was made in the US, this does not apply.
- Excise Tax is a One-Time Road Tax that everybody has to pay in the U.S.V.I. It is rated 16 cents per lb on weight of vehicle.
Vehicle Shipping Forms & Guidelines
Vehicle Shipping Packets
Obtain EIN Number
FOR BOOKINGS OR INQUIRIES, PLEASE CALL 1.877.775.7447